This one is for all UNIX users, the new Raspberry Pi Os was released a few months back and you should be eager to know what it really comes with. Raspberry Pi operating system provides the LXDE desktop environment and therefore, it can be used on desktop computers. Before we go any further, let us see a few details about Raspberry Pi Os.
Formally, it has been known as Raspbian, and it’s a Debian-based operating system for Raspberry Pi. It has been used as the primary operating system for the Raspberry Pi family of compact single-board computers since 2015. It was originally created by Mike Thompson and Peter Green as an independent project in 2012.
The new Raspberry Pi Os (Pi 4 8GB RAM)
Not like the previous versions of Raspberry Pi Os, Pi 4 comes loaded with a generous 8GB RAM. Previously RAM was a challenge, and Raspberry could only afford 512MB to 1GB of RAM. The new Raspberry Pi Os is so identical with the previous version and models save the RAM capacity that has been improved.
The advantage with the new Raspberry Pi 4 is that it supports users with more specific and specialized needs for example if you need to run data-intensive server loads as well as running virtual machines. Raspberry can support the efficient use of Virtual machines with its adequate RAM that is a requirement in VMs.
Raspberry Pi 4 lineup is far more capable a supports a 64-bit Broadcom chip that runs at 1.5GHz and RAM of 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB. There was previously a bug however that continuously was reporting disk full but that was already fixed.
Another improvement that comes with the new Raspberry Pi 4 is the added accessibility for visually impaired users since it has a magnified feature for the desktop user interface. This was just an addition to the existing Orca screen reader.
Benefits of Raspberry Pi Os
Raspberry is an amazing tool for young software engineers, however, not the kind advisable for professional projects. In this section nevertheless, we shall see the reasons why some engineers prefer Raspberry Pi Os.
- First of all, considering the cost of Raspberry Pi Os, it’s lower than other operating systems and this has been an escaping point for RPi.
- Raspberry on the other hand comes with huge processing power in a compact board which has attracted so many young engineers to use it.
- Talking about interfaces, Raspberry comes with numerous of them which include, HDMI, Multiple USB, Ethernet, an onboard WI-FI and Bluetooth, many GPIOs, and it comes USB powered.
- Raspberry also supports the easy building of applications since it comes preloaded with tools that support Linux and Python.
- There’s a great support and readily available examples from the community support.
- The fact that building an embedded board from scratch will cost you lots of money; therefore, adapting Raspberry Pi Os will save you a lot of stress and expenses.
What to consider before selecting an embedded board for your product development
- The degree of durability you need.
- Can you run your operating system on an SD card?
- Is USB connection your priority?
- Do you need battery backup and a real-time clock?
- Do you require an External power supply?