Time and time again you might find yourself in a scenario where your Apple TV remote control is far from your arms stretch or maybe you just misplaced it somewhere and you can not seem to find it. In such moments, you will be wary of failure to control your TV. However, before you strain your mind with ideas on how you are going to deal with the situation, just look at your wrist. If you are wearing your Apple Watch, that will be fortunate. You can use the Apple Watch as a remote control device for your Apple TV. First things first, you will need to pair both devices (Apple Watch and Apple TV) before you go ahead to control the Apple TV with your Apple watch.
How to Pair Apple Watch with Apple TV
To pair the Apple Watch with Apple TV, you will have to enable the feature on both devices. However, this is only possible if both devices are connected to the same WiFi network.
Here is what you need to do on your Apple Watch;
- Go to the Apple Watch home screen by tapping the digital crown.
- Search for and launch the Remote app on your Apple Watch. The app icon shows up as a blue circle with a white right-pointing arrow.
- A list of available TV will appear. Tap your Apple TV. If you don’t see it listed, tap Add Device. The Apple Watch will scan available devices and avail you with a passcode. Keep note of the passcode for it will help you pair Apple Watch and Apple TV successfully.
Now that you have known the steps of pairing on the Apple Watch, let us look at the process of pairing on the Apple TV.
- On your Apple TV home screen menu, select Settings then choose General.
- Next, scroll down to Remotes.
- Under IOS Remotes, your Apple Watch will be listed. Now tap Select to Add next to the name of your Apple Watch.
- Enter the 4-digit passcode that was displayed on your Apple Watch. When finished, click Done. If pairing is successful, you will see a linked chain next to your Watch’s name.
Upon pairing your Apple watch with your Apple TV, you can start using your Apple Watch as a remote control device for your Apple TV.
- Go to the Remote app on your Apple Watch.
- Choose your Apple TV, then swipe up, down, left, or right to move through the Apple TV menu options.
- Tap the trackpad to choose the selected item.
- Tap the Play/Pause button to pause or resume playback.
- Tap the Menu button to go back, or touch and hold it to return to the main menu.
Just purchase your Apple Watch, check out these incredible hidden features on your watch.
How to Unpair Apple Watch from Apple TV
- Go to the Settings app on your Apple TV and select General.
- Under General, scroll down to Remotes.
- The connected Apple Watch will be listed under, IOS Remotes. Go ahead and tap on your Apple Watch under Remote App, then tap Unpair Device.
- Next, launch the Remote app on your Apple Watch, and, tap Remove when the “lost connection” message appears.