Disk space is an important computing resource that needs to be catered for. You always need to check your disk for damaged blocks of data, space running low reports, and other critical issues concerning disk space. However, there so many programs that consume space on our computers and they happen not to be important to us as compared to others. This article addresses how to uninstall Windows 10 apps with the command prompt and it will help you manage computer space.
Apps can be uninstalled directly using the graphical means, but also can be uninstalled using command prompt. For this case, we shall consider the command prompt method which is assumed to be a more efficient and clean way of uninstalling apps in windows 10. Below are steps to follow in order to uninstall Windows 10 Apps from the command prompt.
Step-by-Step: Uninstall windows 10 apps using command prompt
1. Before doing anything identify the apps that you have not used in a while, as these are the most preferred apps for uninstalling.
2. Now go on and launch the CMD (Command prompt) by following the steps below.
- Press the Windows button for the search tab to appear.
- In the search section, type CMD, and when the results appear, right-click on it and select “Run as Administrator”
- Another dialogue will appear asking you if you want to run the program, click yes and the Command prompt will be up and running.
3. In the black screen, type this command > wmic and hit enter. This is known as the Windows Management Instrumentation command-line, a tool that will enable uninstall windows 10 apps from the command prompt.
4. Once you see this text > wmic: root\cli > in the console, it means that the Windows Management Instrumentation Command-line has been launched and now you can instruct it to uninstall Windows 10 apps from command prompt.
5. Types this command > product get name to get all the list of Apps installed on your Windows 10 computer from which you will find the preferred apps for uninstalling.
6. From the list that will be returned, use this command > product where name = “program name” You will need the replace the program name in the text above with the name of the program you need to uninstall.
7. Once the command has been run, you will be prompted to confirm if you want to uninstall the Windows 10 app. Just type Y (for Yes) and hit enter. If you are not certain, type N (for No) to cancel the operation.
8. When the operation has been successfully processed and the Windows 10 App has been uninstalled, you will receive a message confirming that. Run the command for displaying the available/installed programs on your computer, the uninstalled program must not be part of this list.
Other alternative to manage space in Windows 10
Uninstalling Windows 10 Apps from command prompt can be one way to manage space, but there are other ways to do this as we shall see below.
- Always check through your recycle bin to ensure you empty it. In most cases, all apps and programs you delete using the right-click and selecting delete method don’t permanently delete the data. It just drops all this trash into the recycle bin which needs to be emptied later.
- Secondly, always try to check for the temporary files on your computer ad delete them. To do this, follow the steps below;
- Hold down the windows button and R (Win + R)
- In the dialogue box that appears, type the text %temp%, and hit enter.
- A folder containing all temporary files generated recently on your computer will be launched.
- Select them all and delete them to save space on your disk.
Note: sometimes these files consume GB’s of data and so must be deleted regularly.