When you sign up for a Google account, you get 15 GB of free storage, and this storage is shared across Google Drive, Google Photos, and Gmail. Google One comes in when you have exhausted all your free 15GB storage. Google One is a subscription service developed by Google that offers expanded cloud storage. Each plan offers huge storage and as an individual, you might not be able to scoop it all on your own. The interesting bit is that Google One allows you to share your subscription with family members. Here is how;
Google One Subscription Plans
Basic plan: $1.99/month or $19.99/year for 100GB of storage
Standard plan: $2.99/month or $29.99/year for 200GBof storage space
Premium plan: $9.99/month or 99.99/year for 2TB storage space
How family sharing works with Google One
1. Subscribers can share Google One subscriptions with up to 5 family members.
2. The activist of starting and stopping the sharing of the Google One family plan is attributed to the Google One plan manager.
3. There are 2 kinds of storage space: Personal storage space and shared storage space.
- Each member of the family group gets 15 GB of personal storage space for their files: A family member’s files fill up their personal space first.
- There’s also a shared storage split between everyone in your family group: After a family member’s personal storage gets filled up, their files count toward the shared storage space. Family members can use as much of this available storage as they want.
- Others in your family won’t have access to your files unless you share them directly.
Step 1: Create a Family Group
Before you consider sharing your Google One subscription with family members, you need to create a family member group from which you will select members to share your subscription;
- Open the Google Play app.
- At the top right, tap the profile icon.
- Tap Settings, select Family and click on Manage family members.
- Tap Invite family members and tap Send.
Quick Note: To set up a family group, you must be 18 years or older. The people you invite need to live in the same country as you.
Now that you have created a family group, you can go ahead and share your subscription with your family. The Google One plan manager (the individual who purchased a Google membership) is eligible to share their membership with up to 6 members of the family group, at no extra cost.
- Start the Google One app on your Android phone or tablet.
- Tap the Settings icon at the top.
- Tap Manage family settings.
- Turn on Share Google One with your family. To confirm, on the next screen, tap Share.
- Tap Manage family group then click on Invite family members.
- Follow the instructions to finish the setup.
How to Stop Sharing Google one Subscription with Family
Step 1: Open the Google One app.
Step 2: Tap Settings.
Step 3: Tap Manage Family Settings.
Step 4: Turn off Share Google One with family.