WhatsApp‘s Disappearing Messages feature enables the automatic deletion of messages in a chat depending on the set duration. You can choose to have messages disappear after 24 hours, 7 days, or 90 days. Once enabled, you will not need to delete messages from chats, all the new messages sent in the chat will disappear after the duration you select. Here is how you can send Disappearing Messages on WhatsApp.
Important Details to Consider Before Using the Disappearing Messages Feature
- If a user doesn’t open WhatsApp in the 24 hour, 7 day, or 90 day period, the message will disappear from the chat. However, the preview of the message might still be displayed in notifications until WhatsApp is opened.
- When you reply to a message, the initial message is quoted. If you reply to a disappearing message, the quoted text might remain in the chat after the duration you select.
- If a disappearing message is forwarded to a chat with disappearing messages off, the message won’t disappear in the forwarded chat.
- If a user creates a backup before a message disappears, the disappearing message will be included in the backup. Disappearing messages will be deleted when a user restores from a backup.
Note: Only use disappearing messages with trusted individuals. For example, it’s possible for someone to:
- Forward or take a screenshot of a disappearing message and save it before it disappears.
- Copy and save content from the disappearing message before it disappears.
- Take a photo of a disappearing message with a camera or other device before it disappears.
Read Also: How to Create a WhatsApp Click to Chat Link
Send Disappearing Messages on WhatsApp
There are two ways in which you can send disappearing messages, you could set up default settings for all chats or choose a particular chat.
Method 1: Set Disappearing Messages for a Single Chat
1. Open the Chat then tap the name at the top.
2. Scroll down and click on the Disappearing Messages option.
3. Review the notification detailing the terms and conditions of WhatsApp’s Disappearing Messages feature then Click Continue.
4. Enable Disappearing messages by clicking ON.
5. Go back to the chat, you will have a new notification confirming the feature for all new messages. All old messages will not be affected.
Method 2: Default Disappearing Messages
This method allows you to set up the Disappearing Messages feature on all chats for 24 hours, 7 days, or 90 days.
1. Launch WhatsApp.
2. Select the Settings option.
3. Tap Account.
4. Click on Privacy.
5. Then tap Default Message Timer.
6. Select Duration.
How to Disable Disappearing Messages on WhatsApp
1. Click WhatsApp Chat in which you enabled the Disappearing Messages feature.
2. Then click at top the of the chat.
3. Scroll down and select the Disappearing Messages option.
4. Tap on the OFF option to disable Disappearing Messages.