In today’s world, our laptops are like our lifelines. They contain all of our important files, photos, and memories. So, what do you do when your laptop breaks and you can’t access any of that data? There are a few options for retrieving data from a broken laptop, but it will depend on the severity of the damage.
If the laptop is spoilt but can turn on, you can try connecting it to an external hard drive and transferring the data that way. If the laptop is damaged beyond that, then you’ll need to send it to a specialist who can extract the data from the hard drive.
However, lately, there has been software developed to help with data retrieval.
What is Data Recovery Software?
Data recovery software is a type of program used to recover lost data from computers, smartphones, and other electronic devices. The software is often used for retrieving data that has been deleted, or in cases where computer files have been corrupted. and cannot be retrieved any other way.
Recovering data from a broken laptop can be challenging, but it’s not hard to do. Remember that a hard disk drive is the storage device where all your files are stored, so this will require some effort on your part.
The first step is to make sure you have a recent backup of everything you want to recover from the broken laptop. It’s also worth being aware of what type of data you’re trying to recover. For pictures and other media, there are lots of ways in which you can use a third-party app to recover the data.
Using iCare Data Recovery for Mac will let you recover your files from a hard drive or other storage devices. For documents and spreadsheets, there are lots of options. For emails and contacts, it’s worth using an email recovery app such as SpamSieve to find the saved data from the cloud if you have recently backed them up online.
How to Find Lost Files on Broken Laptops:
1. Use the search function of your computer’s operating system. This is done by pressing the “Windows” key, clicking “Search,” and typing in any keyword, file name, or phrase that you think may be related to a lost file. If you’re not sure what to type in, use all words for a general search and use asterisks (*) for wildcard searching so that if a filename has any number of words in it, you can search for the entire thing.
2. On some computers, you can use a software program to find files that have been created or saved on your hard drive. For example, you can use “Recuva” (a free program) to find files that have been deleted from a hard drive by pressing
- Start Recuva. If the Wizard launches, enter Advanced mode by clicking Cancel.
- Click Options.
- In the Options dialogue box, click the Actions tab.
- Click Scan for non-deleted files, and then click OK.
- Run the Recuva scan as normal.
Note: With the free version of Recuva you can only obtain up to 80mbs of lost data.
The best Recovery Software Programs include;
- Disk Drill Data Recovery (Windows & Mac)
- PhotoRec (Windows, Mac, and Linux)
- R-Studio (Windows, Mac, and Linux)
- Recuva (Windows)
- Data Rescue (Windows & Mac)
- Wondershare Recoverit (Windows & Mac)
- DiskGenius (Windows)
- Stellar Data Recovery (Windows & Mac)