Makerere University is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in Uganda, offering a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. A few years back, applicants had to physically visit the Univerity premises and fill in an application form contending for their qualified courses. However, with the advancement of technology, the university has made it possible for students to apply for all courses online. Applying for a course online involves two major steps, and with the right information and guidance, anyone can complete the process with ease. The first step requires the applicant to create a Makerere University applicant account and the second step is to apply for the course. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for a course online:
Step 1: How to Create Makerere University Applicant Account
1. Navigate to https://apply.mak.ac.ug/.
2. Click on the Register Now button.
3. On Create your Account page, you will be prompted to enter your name as it appears on academic documents, a unique email address, and phone number that haven’t been used before, and details of your gender. Once you have filled in all the correct details, click on Register.
4. Upon successful account registration, you will be redirected to the login page and a one-time password (OTP) will be sent to both your email address and phone number.
5. Check both your email and SMS for the OTP to access your account. If you choose to receive the OTP via email, please also check your spam folder in case it’s not available in the inbox folder.
6. On the login page, select either the “Login with Email” or “Log in with Phone” option and enter your email/phone number and the OTP you received.
7. On your dashboard, you will then be prompted to create a new password. Please follow the password creation rules shown on the page and click “Change Password” when finished. You will receive confirmation that your password has been successfully changed.
Step 2: How to Apply for a Programme/Course at Makerere University Online
1. To access the application portal, go to https://apply.mak.ac.ug/ and log in using the credentials you created in the previous steps.
2. Once logged in, you will see a list of the available RUNNING SCHEMES divided into two sections, Undergraduate Schemes, and Postgraduate Schemes. Choose your preferred section followed by the scheme and click “APPLY NOW“.
3. Fill out the application form as instructed, making sure to complete all mandatory fields marked with an asterisk (*). For each completed Form Section, there will be a checkmark against the section. When finished, click “Save”. You can always resume your application at any time.
4. Once you have filled in all the required fields, tap on Submit. Your application will be submitted immediately. However, in order to finalize that whole application process you will need to make payment for the application form. Click on Generate Payment Reference, copy your reference, and make payment of the required amount. Once payment is made, the payment status will change from Pending to PAID. Hereafter, you will have completed the application process thoroughly.
How to Know if you have Been Admitted to Makerere University?
Once you have submitted your application, the waiting game begins. Makerere University will share on its social media platforms that they have released the admission lists of those who applied for certain programs. Ordinarily, the admission list of those who got admitted will feature in the national newspapers. However, checking through the long list is daunting, you can choose to find out your admission status in the comfort of your living room on any internet-enabled device;
1. To check if you have been admitted for that program or course that you applied for, go to https://apply.mak.ac.ug/ and log in using your email address or phone number then confirm identification with your password.
2. Once you are logged in successfully, click on Admission History. The admission history page will showcase a record of your admission status.