Did you know that you can make WhatsApp messages disappear automatically without having to delete them manually? Yes, it’s possible now with the latest versions of WhatsApp. You can either enable or disable this feature in your WhatsApp to make WhatsApp messages disappear automatically.
Once enabled, all messages that arrive later after the feature has been enabled will disappear automatically after a week. In this article, I will show you step by step how to enable this feature in WhatsApp and all other things you need to know about the new WhatsApp message disappearing feature.
Steps to Make WhatsApp Messages disappear automatically
1. For individual chats
- Launch WhatsApp by tapping on its icon in the app section on your phone
- Tap on the individual chat whose messages you want to disappear
- Once you are in the chat, tap on the name of the contact in the header of your chat
- Just below the Media Visibility button, select the Disappearing messages option and press the continue button.
- Tap the ON option.
2. For group chats
If you are an admin in the group, then proceed with the step below to make messages disappear from the group chat after seven days.
- Launch WhatsApp on your phone
- Search for your group chat and select the group of your interest.
- Tap on the group name for more information about the group.
- Scroll to find the Disappearing Messages option and tap on the option.
- Choose ON to enable it.
3. For Web and Desktop
- Launch the WhatsApp application on the web, Blue stacks, or any emulation app you are running on your desktop computer.
- Open the individual chat or group chat of interest.
- Tap on the name for more information and scroll down to look for Disappearing Messages.
- Tap on the option and select On to enable it.
Take note: All you need to know about the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature
- This feature works best for an individual chat basis. Each of the recipients can either enable or disable messages to disappear from your chartroom.
- It takes up to seven days for the messages received after the feature has been enabled to disappear. You will be able to see the messages within six days of texting.
- Messages that were sent earlier on before the WhatsApp Message disappearing feature was enabled won’t be affected in any way.
- In group chats, it’s only the admin that can enable the WhatsApp Message disappearing feature and all the rest of the group participants can only abide by that.
- The feature cannot be enabled by default for all chats at once, therefore, enable it for each individual chat at a time.
- If WhatsApp hasn’t been opened for a week, the messages will still be shown in the preview notifications. But once WhatsApp has been opened, all expired messages shall disappear from the chat.
- Replying to a disappearing message may keep the message in chat until the seven days have elapsed, then the message will disappear.
- Forwarding and copying a message from the disappearing chat to a none-disappearing chat won’t make the message in the second chat disappear.
- If you happen to make a backup of your chats before the messages have disappeared, those messages will be available in the backup even after the messages have disappeared from the chat.
That’s how you can make messages disappear on WhatsApp. There are still more interesting features we are yet to see in WhatsApp, it’s a trend of new updates, and watch out for more of these. Go enjoy the disappearing feature with experience for now.