NHIF is a health insurance firm that provides medical coverage to individuals. NHIF requires individuals to pay a monthly fee of Ksh 500 to activate their cover. The health insurance cover has helped many Kenyans when they are in serious or dire situations. Individuals who work in government institutions become NHIF members by default. In this case, your monthly charge is automatically deducted from your salary.
Members who do not work in government institutions can make their monthly contributions in other ways. One way is through M-Pesa payments. NHIF covers both inpatient and outpatient services. It also covers cancer treatment, renal dialysis, and maternity services among others. Individuals who are in need of such services have to register with NHIF so that they are provided with medical coverage.
Here is How to Pay for NHIF Via M-PESA:
1. Go to M-Pesa
2. Select Lipa na M-Pesa
3. Select pay bill and enter the pay bill which is NHIF business number 200222
4. Enter your National ID number as your account number
5. Enter the amount you wish to pay
6. Enter your M-Pesa PIN
7. Confirm the transaction and press send
8. A message from M-Pesa will be sent to confirm your transaction
To confirm if you have paid your NHIF the following steps are to be followed:
1. Compose a new SMS
2. Type the letters ‘ID’, space, then your ID number. e.g ID 12345678
3. Send the SMS to 21101
4. You will get a reply showing your member number, your ID number, year of birth, your last contributions, and your dependents.
Take note that the contribution due date is the 9th of every month. You should pay for NHIF via M-Pesa Paybill before the 9th to ensure uninterrupted services and to avoid penalties. Payments can also be made through NBK, KCB, Equity, and Cooperative banks.