For almost a decade now, android phones had the option to increase Read Only Memory (ROM). This gave a user the power to increase how much data a device can contain just by adding a memory card. However, it was either impossible or extremely risky to increase the RAM on your phone.
8 Reasons Why I Switched From iOS To Android
How to Activate SIM Card Lock to prevent SIM Fraud – Android
How to use the Phone companion app for windows to link your android phone to your laptop
Before we delve into the giest, Here’s a quick show of the differences between RAM and ROM.
RAM is the memory partition of a device that enables the performance of tasks at a particular speed depending on how much it is.
ROM on the other hand is the main storage of a device that allows one to store files and documents of all formats. RAM stores data temporarily as long as it is needed whereas RPM still keeps information even when the device is off.
Another huge difference is the fact that RAM stores current information for running the system while ROM stores information necessary for booting the device.
Finally, financially, RAM is very expensive compared to ROM. You can increase ROM using a memory card whilst RAM might need some technical knowledge hence higher expenses.
Now that we have learned the difference, let’s go back to our main topic for today – Why and how to increase RAM for an Android phone.
Why Do You Need to Increase RAM?
RAM is the system memory necessary for running the processes of any computerized device. This memory is necessary for the device to give a user a seamless experience by providing speed and accuracy.
Importance Of RAM in a Phone
- Higher RAM makes the device perform faster during daily use.
- It stores information about what a user is trying to do. For example, when one opens an app or plays a video.
- RAM helps a device to be able to run multiple programs at the same time.
- RAM does not make any noise because it has no moving parts list hard drives.
In this article, we shall not list any of the technical methods because they can easily brick your device. Since android 11, it is possible to increase the RAM right within the settings.
Step-By-Step To Increase RAM From Android 11 Upwards
- Firstly, please make sure your device is updated to the latest android version. Some devices get the feature on android 12.
- Make sure you have enough extra space (preferably 10GB) to prevent you from lacking storage for the sake of RAM.
- Go to the settings app on your phone
- Click additional settings
- In the new interface, choose memory extension
- Toggle the option to increase RAM. Most devices accept only 2GB by the time of writing this article.
After the RAM extension, you will experience a more fluid user interface. Another benefit of extending/increasing RAM is the fact that you will be able to install more apps. However, make sure you don’t over-stretch the device as this could cause ROM issues as well.
There you go! You have successfully increased the RAM on your android device. If your device does not have the option, it’s advisable to wait for an update rollout. However, if you’re tech-savvy, you can go ahead and root your android device and enjoy playing around with tweaks. Did our guide help you find your solution? Please leave us your thoughts in the comments section.