As you polish your CV, you need to consider polishing your online presence to correspond with your resume and current goals. The one-stop place for recruiters is LinkedIn, which means that you need to polish your LinkedIn profile to speak to your brand or personality. When you create an account with LinkedIn, the platform will provide a URL link for your account that contains the LinkedIn website, and your profile name followed by letters and numbers. Luckily, you can choose to personalize and customize your LinkedIn URL to something that speaks to your brand and is simple, readable, and memorable.
Customize your LinkedIn URL via Mobile App
Step 1: Open the Linkedin app on your mobile.
step 2: Click your profile picture then View Profile.
Step 3: Tap the More icon next to Add section in your introduction section.
Step 4: Select Contact info and tap the Edit icon.
Step 5: On the Edit contact info page, tap on your Profile URL. You’ll be redirected to the Public profile settings page.
Step 6: Under Edit your custom URL, tap the Edit icon next to your public profile URL.
Step 7: Type or edit the last part of your new custom public profile URL in the text box.
Step 8: Tap Save.
Customize your LinkedIn URL via web
Step 1: Log in to your Linkedin account. After successful login, on your LinkedIn home page tap on “ME.” A drop-down showing your profile will appear, click on the profile icon to launch the profile.
Step 2: Once the Linked in profile is launched, tap on the “Edit Public Profile & URL” found in the upper right corner of your screen.
Step 3: On your Edit Profile and URL page, click on the edit icon (blue Pencil) under “Edit your Custom URL” on the upper right menu.
Step 4: Next, a text field box will highlight the last part of the URL to enable you to personalize the URL of your profile. Type or edit the last part of your new custom public profile URL in the text box.
Quick Note: The custom URL must contain between 3-and 100 letters or numbers. Please do not use spaces, symbols, or special characters.
Step 5: After editing your custom URL to your satisfaction, click on “Save” to save the custom URL changes. A confirmatory notification will pop up on your screen.
Quick Note: LinkedIn will immediately update the changes in your Settings. However, search engines might take some time to detect changes and refresh.
Quick Custom URL Tips From LinkedIn
1. We recommend using a variation of your name and/or your professional brand since you’ll share this public profile URL with people, so they can find your LinkedIn profile. Some job applications may also ask you for your LinkedIn public profile URL.
2. The customizable part of the URL is case insensitive. This means using JohnSmith, johnsmith, or johnSmith will all point to the same profile.
3. If the custom public profile URL you want isn’t available, please select a different one. We can’t make custom public profile URLs available to members upon request.
4. You can change your custom public profile URL up to five times within six months. Once you have changed your custom public profile URL for the fifth time, you won’t be able to change it for another six months. Changing your custom public profile URL several times may make it hard for people to find you.
5. You should be able to revert back to your old URL immediately after changing. If you’re unable to, please contact us.
6. If you change your custom public profile URL, the previous URL is still linked to you for six months unless you unlink it. Other members won’t be able to claim during this period.
7. If you unlink a custom public profile URL, it won’t be visible to other members for seven days, after which they can claim it.
8. If you navigate to a previously claimed custom public profile URL, you may see a page that reads Profile Not Found.
9. Additional language profiles have the same public profile URL, but LinkedIn will add a language field at the end. For example, “fr” would be added at the end of the URL for a member’s French profile.
10. Once an account is closed, the custom public profile URL will be available after 180 days from the date of the close.
11. A public profile URL is automatically assigned when you create your LinkedIn profile. This URL can be changed only if you update your name.