The M-PESA Global Pay Virtual Visa Card is a card that enables you to make payments to international online sites for goods and services. The virtual card is fast, efficient, and easy to use. It is also convenient since one is able to pay for online merchants like Netflix and Amazon. It is installed with features that can be used to verify your real identity. The virtual card is a result of the partnership between M-PESA and VISA.
The M-PESA Virtual Card enables its customers to make direct transactions from their mobile phones. It also has limited transactions when it comes to money transfers and payments just like M-PESA. The card does not store money, it only maps your M-PESA balance. A 3.5% forex fee is charged whenever a transaction is made.
Here is How to Create M-PESA Virtual Visa Card:
1. One is required to install the M-PESA App from the Google PlayStore and App Store. This is only necessary if you haven’t installed one yet.
2. Open the app and go to the ‘GROW’ tab.
3. Click on ‘GlobalPay’ and Opt-in.
4. A message will be sent showing the successful opt-in.
5. You will be required to customize your card color and image.
6. After customizing you will get to create the card.
7. A message with your card number and expiry date will be sent
8. You will be able to see the card number details and the dynamic CVV
If you don’t want to use the app, you can access this service via USSD by dialing *344# and accessing Lipa Na M-Pesa, the Global Pay option.
These M-PESA Virtual Visa Cards are an extension of your M-PESA account and are subject to M-PESA’s limitations in terms of amount transactions, balance limits, and so on. For instance, you can only transact a maximum of Ksh 150,000 and the maximum amount you can transfer in a day is capped at Ksh 300,000, just like M-PESA.