Tech giant, Google, the proprietors of Android rolled out parental control options a few years ago. This was meant to help parents control what their children below 13 do on the internet or not. Do not worry if you’re using the latest android version. This article will guide you to monitor your child even if your phone doesn’t have digital wellbeing pre-installed.
- 1 How To Create A Child’s Google Account
- 2 How to set up Family Link on your Child’s Google Account and smartphone
- 3 How to see your child’s app activity via the Google Family Link app
- 4 Conclusion
How To Create A Child’s Google Account
The best way to create a child’s Google account is by using the Gmail site or app. This can be done by clicking the profile icon at the top right corner and choosing to add an account. You will then choose to create a new account then input your child’s details.
Alternatively, you can just visit Google’s create account page and follow the steps below.
- Go to the Google Account sign-in page
- Click Create Account
- Enter your name
- In the “Username” field, enter a username
- Enter and confirm your password
- Click Next.
How to set up Family Link on your Child’s Google Account and smartphone
Family link is a google app that can help you manage a family directly using their Gmail accounts. Below are the steps to manage it.
- Download the Family Link app to your phone (either on iOS or Android)
- If your child has an account, the app will walk you through to link their account under you.
- Download the family link app to the child’s phone as well.
- If your child does not have a Google account, create one for them.
- Once you both are linked, you can set digital standards for your child on your phone.
How to allow or block an app for your child
- Open the family link app.
- Choose the child you want
- Select the apps installed on the card and click More
- Tap the app you wish to block or allow
- Choose Allow App on or off.
Here’s How to prevent a child from downloading mature apps
- Open the family link app.
- Choose your child
- Find the settings card and choose Manage
- Click controls on Google play
- Within content restrictions, choose your filters. You can choose the highest maturity level to allow for apps, games, movies, and music.
How to see your child’s app activity via the Google Family Link app
- Open the family link app
- Select your child
- Choose the app activity card
- Turn on if it’s off
- When it’s on, you’ll always see what your child is doing on their phone.
What Happens When The Child Goes Beyond 13?
As long as you have input the child’s correct birth details, the account will automatically switch to a standard one. However, it’s up to you and your child whether you both stay in the family link connect although no one will monitor the other. You can just go to the members settings and remove members who you don’t need in the family link anymore.
How To Convert a Child’s Google Account To a Normal Google Account
Go to your child’s profile. Click Manage settings on the settings card. Type Account info in the top right corner of the search bar and choose it from the list. This page allows you to change your child’s information, including the child’s name and the email address used for this account!
There are tons of other things you can track using the family link app, but we have shown you a sample. We hope this article has helped you figure out how to monitor your child’s phone remotely.