With the existing pandemic, working from home is the new normal. The need for a reliable internet connection for all your gadgets, like a laptop, mobile phone, or even a desktop computer is very warrantied. However, your laptop may shock you with certain internet connection errors like Failed to Obtain IP Address. While landed with this error, knowing how to fix potential problems such as this, without your IT guy at the office is important.
In the same regard, you may want to connect your mobile phone to your computer mobile hotspot, but you may fail because your mobile phone cannot obtain the IP address assigned to the network. This article is here to help you work around this problem and provides a number of solutions as we shall see.
In this blog, we assume you have tried to connect your phone to the mobile hotspot of your windows computer, and all have failed. Here is how to troubleshoot this problem. But first, let us take you through how to connect your phone to your laptop internet hotspot.
- 1 What causes “Failed to obtain IP address”?
- 2 Before you try to fix Failed to obtain IP address:
- 3 Steps to follow to fix failed to obtain IP address.
- 4 Conclusion
How to connect your phone to the laptop mobile hotspot
First, make sure that your windows laptop mobile hotspot are turned on. If not, click on the WiFi icon on the bottom left of your screen and you will see it below at the end of the interface. Thereafter:
- On your mobile phone, pull down the notification bar and turn on the Wi-Fi
- Long press the WIFI button in order to display all available WIFI connections.
- From the list, select your computer hotspot or Wi-Fi network
- You will be asked to provide a security key for the selected network if any.
- Enter the password to allow connection
- The device will obtain the IP address assigned to the network prior to connecting to it.
- Your phone will then fully connect to the Wi-Fi after obtaining the IP address. You’re now connected.
Related Article: How to Solve Windows 10 WIFI connection issues
What causes “Failed to obtain IP address”?
The “Failed to obtain IP address” error isn’t as complicated a problem as you may think. Below are some simple reasons why you are facing this problem while you try to connect to your Mobile hotspot in Windows.
- Router Bugs
- Improper wireless security settings
- Setting issue in MAC address
- Poor Wi-Fi signal; In this case, you should reduce the distance between your device and the router;
- Your device does not operate properly with the set encryption method;
- Problems with your router; It could be either its malfunctioning or configuration issues;
- Enabled MAC filtering: Your address might not be white listed;
- Software or configuration problems of your device
Before you try to fix Failed to obtain IP address:
Here are 2 things you should ensure:
- Hold down Win + R from your keyboard.
- In the dialogue box that appears, type services.msc and click Ok
- Another window will be displayed, locate the “Internet Connection Sharing” on the right hand.
- Double click on it, then click to enable.
- You will have to click on the Run button, and click Apply, and OK.
2. Setup your Ethernet or Wi-Fi adapter
- This is done on your computer (desktop or Laptop)
- Right-click on the network icon in the taskbar
- Select the “Network and Sharing Center” option.
- Click on the Change adapter settings link on the left side.
- Right-click on the network adapter which is connected to the internet and select Properties from the menu.
- Click on the Sharing tab and Untick the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” box, and click OK.
- Re-open the Properties of the same adapter, under Sharing tab, go to check “Allow other network users…”, select the mobile hotspot adapter for Home networking connection, and click the OK button to apply changes.
- Lastly, you will need to restart your mobile hotspot to check if it is working.
Steps to follow to fix failed to obtain IP address.
- Forget and connect back to the network.
- Click on Settings
- Select the option of “Wi-Fi”
- Select the network that has failed to connect.
- Long press on it for more option to be displayed
- Click forget to remove the network from your saved networks.
- Click again to reconnect, but note that this time around you will need to provide a security key for the network.
You can also try these fixes:
- Activate and deactivate the airplane mode of your phone.
- Reboot your phone if the problem persists.
We hope these steps to fix the failed-to-obtain IP address error have been helpful. Share with us your experience below.
ALSO READ: How To Remove Not Secure In Google Chrome