The NHIF Medical Insurance Cards have been widely accepted across most outpatient hospitals both private and public facilities. It has made it convenient for one to change an outpatient hospitals for themselves and their dependents. For you to choose a hospital, your account must be active and you must have registered your phone number with NHIF, or else you will get an error. It’s good to be checking you status of your account often so as not to be caught off-guard when you need to seek treatment at NHIF accredited outpatient facility.
NHIF now has an option of choosing or changing the preferred outpatient facility of choice online, which makes it easy for NHIF members to utilize some of their serious problems without necessarily having to visit the NHIF offices. You can access inpatient services in any of the NHIF-accredited hospitals/facilities countrywide. However, you cannot walk into any hospital and demand outpatient services with your NHIF card. The facility has to be on your list.
Can I choose NHIF hospital online? You can choose NHIF outpatient hospital online using the NHIF Mobile USSD code, via the NHIF Mobile app, and through the NHIF self-care portal.
Choose via NHIF Mobile USSD Code
- Dial *155# on the phone.
- Select your preferred language, English or Kiswahili.
- Enter your National ID number.
- NHIF sends a one-time password (OTP) code to your phone.
- Enter the OPT code, then press send.
- A pop-up screen message will appear.
- Choose Out-Patient Facility or Change Out-Patient Facility.
- Select dependent (if applicable).
- Search for the name of the hospital you prefer to register them.
- Select the county.
- Type the name of the hospital.
- Then confirm the hospital.
- Repeat the above process for each and every dependent.
Choose Via NHIF Mobile App
- Go to the Google Play store or App Store.
- Download My NHIF self-care App and install it.
- Click on the other services menu.
- Enter your ID number.
- Click on Request OTP which will be sent to your phone number immediately.
- Enter the OTP to log in.
- Select “choose or change Out-Patient Facility” to suit your desire.
- A screen will be presented that shows you and all your dependents.
- For the member, you want to change, tap on change the outpatient facility.
- Go to the next screen. Type the name of the hospital you want to choose and its county.
- For your dependent, choose the preferred facility you want for them.
- Select confirm when an on-screen pop-up message appears.
Choose via NHIF self-care portal
- Go to the NHIF Self-care Online Portal
- Enter your ID Number
- A One Time Password (OTP)will be sent to the phone number registered in the NHIF system
- Enter the OTP
- Click Verify
- Click on the facilities menu on the homepage
- Select the county the facility is located in
- Choose or change a hospital to the one you prefer
- Repeat the process for each and every dependent