The Nigerian National ID card, is a government-issued document that serves as a form of identification for all Nigerian citizens. It has a National Identification Number (NIN) which is a unique identification number that is assigned to individuals after they have successfully completed the registration and enrolment process with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). The NIN is a mandatory requirement for all Nigerian citizens and legal residents, and it is used for a variety of purposes, including accessing government services, opening bank accounts, and registering for elections.
The Nigerian National ID card contains personal information such as the holder’s name, date of birth, gender, and NIN. It also contains a photograph and biometric data such as fingerprints and facial image. The card is designed to be tamper-proof and contains security features to prevent fraud.
Obtaining a National ID card in Nigeria is a multi-step process that begins with online registration and ends with biometric capture at an NIMC enrollment center. After the registration, an appointment will be scheduled for the biometric capturing at the nearest NIMC center. Here are the detailed steps to apply for a National ID card online in Nigeria:
Steps on How to Apply for National ID Online
Step 1: Fill up the pre-enrolment form online, download and print Pre-Enrolment Slip
- Fill the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal.
- All the mandatory fields need to be filled with correct information.
- Download and print your Pre-Enrolment Slip.
Step 2: Submit Your Application
- Walk into the nearest NIMC Registration Centre with any one of the following Original and Valid supporting documents.
- At Enrolment Center you will be directed to a counter where an Enrolment Officer will verify the presence and compliance of all details of your application.
- If your application is in order, Enrolment officer will guide you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (ten fingerprints and facial image) and you will collect the Transaction ID Slip as evidence of the transaction.
- Applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
- Minor applicants should be accompanied by parents / guardians who can do the form filling for them.
- Minor applicants should only bring original and valid birth certificate and NIN slip of one of the Nigerian Parent / Guardian.
Step 3: NIN issuance
- The normal time frame for issuance of National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric details are captured at enrolment centers.
- The issuance of NIN may take longer in certain cases due to validation of details at NIMC.
- The Transaction ID Slip is required to be stored carefully by applicant as it is required to be presented at the time of collection of NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment
It is important to note that the online registration process is only the first step in obtaining a National ID card. After the online registration, an appointment will be scheduled for the biometric capturing at the nearest NIMC center. Also, It is important to ensure that the information and documents provided are accurate and valid, as errors or discrepancies may delay the processing of your application.